Mecklenburgh Square

Mecklenburgh Square
Named for a queen

Mecklenburgh Square was part of the Foundling Estate, a residential development of 1792—1825 on fields surrounding and owned by the Foundling Hospital. The Square was named in honour of King George III’s Queen, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. It was begun in 1804, but for various reasons was not completed until 1825. It is notable for the number of historic terraced houses that face directly onto the square and the Mecklenburgh Square Garden (closed to the public). The garden was laid out and planted between 1809 and 1810 as the centrepiece of the newly developed Mecklenburgh Square. It is made up of formal lawns, gravel paths, mature plane trees and other ornamental trees. Wikipedia/CTGuides