Queen Square, London

Queen Square
Mistaken identity

Queen Square was constructed between 1716 and 1725. It was formed from the garden of the house of Sir John Cutler baronet (1608-1693). It was left open on one side for the landscape formed by the hills of Hampstead and Highgate. Nowadays, it is surrounded on all sides by buildings mainly devoted to healthcare. The square was previously named 'Queen Anne's Square' because a statue contained within it was misidentified as depicting Queen Anne. This statue is now believed to be a portrayal of Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. George III was treated for mental illness in a house in Queen Square towards the end of his reign. The public house on the southwest corner of the square - The Queen’s Larder - was according to legend used by Queen Charlotte to store food for the king during his treatment. Wikipedia/CTGuides