Woburn Square

Woburn Square
Not half the square it used to be

Woburn Square is the smallest of the Bloomsbury Squares. Designed by Thomas Cubitt and built in 1829-1847, it is named after Woburn Abbey, the main country seat of the Dukes of Bedford and developers of much of Bloomsbury. The original construction was of 41 second rate houses, smaller than those of adjoining Gordon Square and hence with lower rents. Both were built to improve land that was originally a swamp. Woburn Square was built on the boundary between the parishes of St. Pancras and Holborn and the boundary marker stones are still visible in the gardens. Originally, the square extended south down towards Russell Square but the southern half was demolished in the 1970s to make space for new buildings for the Univerity of London's School of Oriental and African Studies. Wikipedia/CTGuides