Adelaide House

King William Street, EC4
Adelaide House
The first skyscraper?

Adelaide House, when it was completed in 1925, was the tallest office block in London at 43 m (141 ft). The building was named in honour of King William IV's wife Adelaide, who, in 1831, had performed the opening ceremony of the adjacent London Bridge. Adelaide House was the first building in the City to employ the steel frame technique that was later widely adopted for skyscrapers around the world, and also the first office block in the UK to have central ventilation and telephone and electric connections on every floor. It was designed in a discreet Art Deco style by Tait & Partners, with some Egyptian influences, popular at the time after the recent discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb. There used to be a mini golf course on the roof. The building has been Grade II listed since 1972. Wikipedia/CTGuides