Great Ormond Street Hospital

Great Ormond Street Hospital
Hospital chapel

Great Ormond Street Hospital was founded on 14 February 1852 and was the first hospital providing in-patient beds specifically for children in England. Despite opening with just 10 beds, it grew into one of the world's leading children's hospital through the patronage of Queen Victoria, counting Charles Dickens, a personal friend of Dr West, the Chief Physician and main campaigner for the hospital’s creation, as one of its first fundraisers. Located in the Variety Club Building is St Christopher's Chapel, decorated in Byzantine style and Grade II listed building. It was designed by Edward Barry – son of the architect Sir Charles Barry who designed the Houses of Parliament – and built in 1875. It is free to visit and easily accessible through the main entrance past the reception desks. Wikipedia/CTGuides